Just began a new course examining “Spiritual Gifts” (somewhat a misnomer).
Will drop a few important truths here from time-to-time.
Much is said in the Word about the operating of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.
Yet, questions abound.
Much confusion is caused by a lack of knowing what the Lord has told us in His Word.
This is nothing new.
The Body of Christ in Corinth had problems/questions.
1 Corinthians 12:1
12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware.
The word “gifts” does not appear in the original Greek.
What is being addressed are matters of “spiritual”...the “Spirit”.
The Lord does not want us to be unaware.
Here are some truths.
The true “Spiritual Gifts” is the gift of the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is the focus, not the “gifts”.
It is not about “what gift I have that I can use for God”.
It is about “what is God wanting to do through me”.
If one is not abiding and living in the Spirit, then “spiritual gifts” are not functioning.
- “I can take a test to determine my spiritual gifts”
- “no one has all the gifts” (If we have the Spirit, all the gifts are in the Spirit)
- “once you receive a gift, that is it. It will not change.”
- “I can live like I want and still exhibit empowerment of the Spirit”
- “Talents, skills and spiritual gifts are related”
- ...there are more...
All these are unbiblical.
It is not about “us”.
It is about the Lord moving through obedient, willing vessels.