"An Hour is Coming…"
“An Hour is Coming…”
Remember the context.
The Religious leadership was furious.
They desired to kill Jesus.
Jesus is speaking to them after He had healed a man on the Sabbath.
25 Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
26 For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He gave to the Son also to have life in Himself;
27 and He gave Him authority to execute judgment, because He is the Son of Man.
28 Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
29 and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.
30 “I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
31 “If I alone testify about Myself, My testimony is not true.
32 There is another who testifies of Me, and I know that the testimony which He gives about Me is true.
Let us continue as we did earlier...what do we learn of the Son? of Father?
- dead will hear His voice, will live...an hour to come and is now!
- given Life by Father
- given authority by Father to execute judgment
- is the Son of Man
- hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, will come forth
- can do nothing of His own initiative…
- as He hears He judges
- does not seek His own will
- seeks the will of Him who sent Him
- does not testify of self alone
- another testifies of Him
- knows this testimony is true
Father: - has Life in Himself
- gave to the Son to have Life in Himself
- gave Son authority to execute judgment
- speaks to Son
- Son does His will
- judges justly
- testifies of Jesus, truth
An hour is coming and now is:
- speaks of the spiritual dead who hear the voice of the Son of God and believe.
- they hear and live
An hour is coming:
- all in the tombs will hear His voice
- all will come forth...from the tombs
- those who did good...to a resurrection of life
- those who committed evil...to a resurrection of judgment
Jesus was explaining to the Religious rulers Who He was/is.
He was giving details. Great details.
All who have lived will be resurrected from the dead.
Where will eternity be spent?
The resurrection of Life.
The resurrection of judgment.
Choose ye today...