The Lord has called us to walk in power.
Not in the power of the flesh.
Not in the power of the soul.
But, in the power of the Spirit.
2 Timothy 1:7-11
7 For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.
8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God,
9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity,
10 but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,
11 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher.
Granted by the Lord to those who believe.
Did you note all the detail in the sentence that is verse 8-11?
We are not to be ashamed of the testimony of Jesus.
Paul was encouraging Timothy to join in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God. A curious statement.
God will empower us in suffering…through suffering...because of suffering.
Then we see these truths about God…
- has saved us...not because of our works
- has called us with a holy calling...according to His purposes and grace
- this grace is granted through Christ Jesus from all eternity...that “from” is interesting
- this grace was revealed by the appearing of...note the detail...our Savior, our Christ, Jesus
- Jesus abolished death
- Jesus brought life
- Jesus brought immortality to light
The power He gives is through what He has done.
Do we walk in the power granted?