"Paul to Timothy..."
“Paul to Timothy…”
Paul was at the end of his life.
He knew it...as we will see later.
He wanted to impart some truths to his protege...to pass the baton.
The Spirit led.
There is much for us to learn and glean from this letter - 2 Timothy.
It speaks to today
2 Timothy 1:1-4
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God according to the promise of the life that is in Christ Jesus,
2 To Timothy, my beloved child:
Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3 I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day.
4 As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy.
Paul, as was his habit, declares who he is in the Lord…
- an apostle of the Lord Jesus
- an apostle by the will of God
- an apostle according to the promise of the life that is in Christ Jesus.
True believers are…
- of Christ Jesus
- in Christ Jesus
Paul speak blessings over Timothy…
- served God with a clear conscience...especially interesting considering the things he has done. The Lord forgave. Paul lived in the forgiveness.
- thanked God. Especially for Timothy.
- remembered Timothy in prayer night and day
- remembered Timothy’s tears...their last departure was emotional
- longed to see Timothy
- considered Timothy his beloved child
- knew that seeing Timothy would fill him with joy.
This is the introduction to a powerful Word.
Do we love OneAnother in like fashion?
Would we have this attitude when facing imminent death?
Wait ‘til you see the rest...