“Pray For Us…”
“Pray For Us…”
The people were terrified.
The Word of the Lord had come through Samuel.
The people had chosen/demanded a king.
They had rejected God.
God was letting them know that He was displeased.
He brought forth rain and thunder (during the dry season) as a sign of His displeasure.
What were they to do now?
Were they to recant?
Could they return to a “kingless” status?
Then all the people said to Samuel, “Pray for your servants to the LORD your God, so that we may not die, for we have added to all our sins this evil by asking for ourselves a king.”
Samuel said to the people, “Do not fear. You have committed all this evil, yet do not turn aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart.
“You must not turn aside, for then you would go after futile things which can not profit or deliver, because they are futile.
“For the LORD will not abandon His people on account of His great name, because the LORD has been pleased to make you a people for Himself.
“Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you; but I will instruct you in the good and right way.
“Only fear the LORD and serve Him in truth with all your heart;
for consider what great things He has done for you.
“But if you still do wickedly, both you and your king will be swept away.”
The people asked Samuel to pray for them.
They did not want to die.
They acknowledged that they had added to their sins by the evil they had done in demanding a king.
- Do not fear.
- Do not turn aside from following the Lord
- Serve the Lord with all your heart.
- Do not turn aside to futile things.
- The Lord will not abandon you.
- Because of His great name.
- The Lord was pleased to make them HIs people.
- Samuel would continue to pray for them.
- Samuel would instruct them in the good and right way.
- Fear the Lord.
- Serve the Lord in truth with all your heart.
- Consider the great things the Lord has done for you.
- He warned: if you still do wickedly, the Lord would sweep away them and the king.
Truth for us.
If we sin…repent, confess…press on.
Sin no more.