Be Strong and Very Courageous
Be Strong and Very Courageous
Joshua was 80 years old.
He has seen the miracles of God
- the ten plagues upon Egypt
- the exodus of the people
- the mountain of the Lord
- the wondering in the wilderness for 40 years...no clothes nor shoes wore out
- the death of all 20 years of age and over
- rocks that flowed with water
- the Promise land...he and Caleb had brought a favorable report
- the life of Moses, servant of God
Now, God had chosen Joshua to lead the people.
Moses had died.
Joshua was to replace Moses.
Look at the Word the Lord spoke unto him…
1 Now it came about after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord , that the Lord spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' servant, saying,
2 "Moses My servant is dead; now therefore arise, cross this Jordan, you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them, to the sons of Israel.
3 "Every place on which the sole of your foot treads, I have given it to you, just as I spoke to Moses.
4 "From the wilderness and this Lebanon, even as far as the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and as far as the Great Sea toward the setting of the sun will be your territory.
5 "No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; bI will not fail you or forsake you.
6 "Be strong and courageous, for you shall give this people possession of the land which I swore to their fathers to give them.
7 "Only be strong and very courageous; be careful to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go.
8 "This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.
9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." NASU
The Lord knew that Joshua needed encouragement and exhortation.
Look at the promises the Lord made to Joshua
- No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life.
- Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you.
- I will not fail you.
- I will not forsake you.
If you are a true believer in the Lord Jesus Christ you can rejoice in the same.
The Lord will be you.
The Lord will not fail you.
The Lord will not forsake you.
Now, give heed to the commandment of the Lord to Joshua.
Be strong and courageous.
Only be strong and very courageous.
Be strong a courageous.
A three-fold declaration from the Lord! He meant it.
The Word is for us also - be strong and very courageous!
“But, how to ‘be strong’?”
The Lord gives us the source of strength.
- Be careful to do according to the law which Moses My servant commanded you
- Do not turn from the Law...to the right nor the left
- You will have success wherever you go...if you give heed to the law...the Word.
- The book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth
- Meditate upon the Word day and night
- Then you will prosper and have success.
Let us do so.
Impart the Word of the Lord into your life.
Let it flow from your mouth.
Be careful to do all that is written in it.
Receive the commandment of the Lord…
Do not tremble!
Do not be dismayed!
For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
The reading in the “So That’s Why!” Bible consists of pp. 264-269.