Zacharias had just heard, from an angel, that he and Elizabeth would be parents.
The answer to prayers offered long ago.
What must he had thought?
We know some.
Today, look and see what we learn about the child and his impact.
“You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth.
“For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother’s womb.
“And he will turn many of the sons of Israel back to the Lord their God.
“It is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, TO TURN THE HEARTS OF THE FATHERS BACK TO THE CHILDREN, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous, so as to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”
Zacharias and Elizabeth would have joy and gladness due to the child.
Many will rejoice at his birth.
I think the next Word shows us?
“For”…the joy, gladness and rejoicing will come about because…
- he will be great in the sight of the Lord
- he will drink no wine or liquor…a reference to a “Nazarite vow”?
- he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother’s womb
- he will turn many of the sons of Israel back to the Lord their God
- he will go as a forerunner before Him - Messiah! - in the spirit and power of Elijah
- he will turn the heart of the fathers back to the children
- he will turn the disobedient to the attitude of righteousness
- he will make ready a people prepared for the Lord
Zacharias knew that Elijah would come before the Lord…and before the Day of the Lord.
He did…in John to those who believe.
He will…in days yet to come.
Zacharias now learns his sons will be “Elijah”.
This is some serious download of information to Zacharias.
Prophecy fulfillment announced in the Holy Place by God’s messenger to God’s vessel.
How did Zacharias react?
We will see later.
How would you react?
How are you reacting now?